Author Topic: 1968 Series IIA Carawagon  (Read 2486 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PCB93

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Location: Cheshire
Re: 1968 Series IIA Carawagon
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:13 am »
Right, let's see if this works:

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/50627736113/f7f1556fda/360p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MDYyNzczNjExMywiZSI6MTYwNTk2MTIwOSwicyI6Ijk1ZDc0ZjE2ODE5MjNhZjk4NzE3Mzc5ZjFmMjZmNTQ3NmQ4OWE5NmIiLCJ2IjoxfQ

I managed to miss recording the actual moment of starting, as to be honest I still wasn't convinced it'd be in the mood!  Proof it does run, in any case.  It's occurred to me now that the last time I tried the issue may just have been that the ignition timing was too far out, rather than any fault with the distributor; the timing pointer was absent so I just had to guess where to aim for.  This time I brought the pointer from the flywheel housing of the Rover 105 engine I have, which is clearly of the same type.  Set it at exactly TDC and it fired immediately, as I say.

The current 'fuel tank' setup is rather rudimentary; just an old leaky facet pump bodged into the cab and with the inlet hose stuck into the open neck of a jerry-can:


Not sure that'll put me in line for any 'services to health and safety' awards, but it works for now.  The original fuel pump is unresponsive and there's still half a tank of petrol from 2005-ish to get rid of before I can link something more sensible in.  Granted, all it'll have to do in this state is drive closer to the road for loading onto a recovery truck for the journey home, after which the full strip-down will begin; just need to get the clutch operational for that.  This project will finally be kicking off in earnest in the new year!

Phil
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:50:52 am by PCB93 »
1979 Series III 88" Hard-top - daily drive
1968 Series IIA 109" Carawagon - project